City of Clarksville Parks and Recreation – Lifeguard (Part-time, Seasonal)
Lifeguards are responsible for guarding their area of responsibility, responding to any level of incident around the entire facility, enforcing Parks & Recreation rules fairly and politely, being responsive to patron requests, ensuring patron safety, being patient and enthusiastic, and other tasks assigned by the Aquatics Facility management team and the Aquatics Superintendent.
Example of Duties
- Work shifts as a Lifeguard and follows the expectations of the position.
- Maintains constant surveillance and visually scans assigned area of responsibility every 10 seconds. Walks the area to monitor activities, provide instructions, and prevent accidents.
- Provides general information on pool operations to members. Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe practices and safety hazards, and enforces pool rules and regulations.
- Responds to all illness and injury incidents around the entire pool facility immediately and appropriately. This includes, but is not limited to performing life saving skills, First Aid, CPR, AED, and other until arrival of emergency medical services.
- Rescues swimmers in danger of drowning.
- Maintains clean, safe, and orderly pool, deck, aquatics office, and locker rooms. Inspects facilities regularly and reports any unsafe conditions/equipment to supervisor or facilities manager immediately.
- Attends and participates in all Mandatory Staff Meetings and Trainings.
- Promotes Aquatic Programming.
- Communicates openly and regularly with supervisor and team members.
- Leads or aides (WSI) in all swimming classes in accordance with guidelines and standards set by the American Red Cross and the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Works together as a team with other Aquatics Staff and other departments.
- Performs with a high level of customer service and ensures a positive customer experience.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor, including abiding by uniform requirements.
- Other related duties may be assigned.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations and to make decisions quickly;
- Excellent communications skills, both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to understand and abide by department customer service standards and procedures;
- Swimming experience preferred;
- Ability to maintain personal physical endurance and agility necessary to perform job functions.
- American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding certification;
- American Red Cross (ARC) First Aid certification;
- American Red Cross (ARC) CPR/AED for the Professional Lifeguard certification;
- Must be a minimum of fifteen (15) years of age;
- Must be able to pass pre-employment/employment testing of lifeguarding skills and knowledge, including but not limited to: swimming 300 yards non-stop; the ability to tread water for two (2) minutes without hands, back-boarding skills, swimming twenty (20) yards, picking up a ten (10) pound brick off the bottom of the pool, and swimming the brick back within one minute and forty (40) seconds, lifeguard written test, etc.;
- In-house Certification and Re-certification for the American Red Cross (ARC).
- Ability to lift a person off the bottom of the pool and out of the water;
- Ability to perform all skills required for Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR, and AED certifications and in-service trainings;
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time in outside air temperatures and conditions;
- Ability to be comfortable in the water/pool;
- Incumbents may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens.
While performing duties of this job, employees are frequently required to stand; stroll; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel; and to reach with arms and hands. Employees will occasionally be required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, and/or crouch.
Must be able to work with little to no temperature control and is routinely exposed to various chemicals (i.e. chlorine, muriatic acid, cleaning materials, and disinfectants). Exposed to extreme heat and humidity, works on uneven and/or slippery surfaces, and is periodically exposed to hazardous conditions/situations.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department. This position is part-time, seasonal. no sick leave or vacation is accrued and there are no paid holidays. There are no set number of hours guaranteed on the weekly work schedule and all work schedules are subject to change.