Responsible for ensuring the safety of school children crossing the street in designated school zones.
TYPICAL ESSENTIAL DUTIES:(These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary):
- Directs or escorts school children safely across streets in school zones, stopping traffic as necessary.
- Controls the flow of traffic to allow school buses to arrive and/or depart the schools in a safe manner.
- Rapidly scans the environment by looking left to right to monitor the flow of traffic, pedestrians, and school buses moving toward the area under the crossing guard’s control.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions of this nature typically require):
High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions of this type typically require):
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
- Traffic patterns within the assigned school zone area.
SKILLS (position requirements at entry):
- Ability to continually pay attention to and notice details while in a distracting environment;
- Working independently and following instructions;
- Ensuring safety precautions are followed at all times;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with supervisor, children, and the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.